Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mexico


Buenos dias y como estas? This is something that I say almost every single day. I don't speak Spanish, at least now well. Many of the people that work on the floor with me are from other countries, and some of them are from Mexico.

A few months ago I started putting flags on the carts so that people could tell where the carts are in the tall stacks of boxes that are stacked in the floor place. These were high visibility flags so that people could see where the carts are between all the packs that are on the floor of the Receiving Dock.

One of the clerks had decided to place a Mexican Flag on her cart, replacing the hi-vis flag that I had placed on there. I felt that this could be a safety issue, since the flag might not be as easily seen as the hi-vis ones. The other problem was that placing the flag on her cart caused a disturbance within the work place. Some of the African Americans at work made it a race issue. They did not want these women posting a their flag, since they couldn't post a flag of the country of their origin. I don't think anyone from this company ever told them they couldn't do this. What really confused me about this was  that they were African American. What did they want permission to have an American Flag somewhere in their personal space? I believe everyone has a right to be proud of where they came from, and to show that pride. While it made me sad to tell the clerk she had to take the flag down, I was even more upset that the reason was more to do with other people's prejudices then it did with my initial concern of safety.

Food:
I love Mexican inspired food. For this I made tomotillo soup. A tomotillo is looks like a green tomato. It has a natural wrapper that makes it look a little like a paper lamp. It is much more tart then a tomato.

Ingredients:
5 medium tomatillos
1 cup vegetable broth.
1 jalapeno
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup cream

Directions:
1) Cut the tomatillos in quarters. Slice the jalapeno.
2) Boil the tomatillos in the vegetable broth for 15 minutes or until soft.
3) Pure' the tomatillos in a blender.
4) Place tomotillos blend back in pot, add jalapeno and boil for an additional 15 minutes
5) Add cream and lime.

You can learn more about Hello Fresh by visiting this website: www.hellofresh.com If you sign up you can use my referral code: R27SAH.
I also made Mexican Jumble from Hello Fresh. Both the soup and jumble could be easily eaten with tortilla chips.

Finally, I had a shark bite Margarita. This was kind of cool. it was a tube of liquid that you froze and  then drank directly from the tube.



Work Cited:
"Mexican Jalapeno Jumble". Hello Fresh. HelloFresh.com


No comments:

Post a Comment