Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Canada

Canada:
 
Yesterday, February 17, 2014 is Canada's Family day. A day dedicated to families spending time together. This day always occurs on a Monday. This year, it occurs the same day as our President's Day. So, I will eating "Canadian Food" on Tuesday.  

I recently moved back to Michigan, the state where I went to school. A state that I continued to visit every year since. I work just down the road to the bridge to Canada. One of the radio stations I get in the best at my new home is a station out of Windsor, Canada. My supervisor is Canadian.  
I have seen Canada many times from across the Great Lakes. Last Summer I saw it at Niagara Falls, yet I have only been to Canada once.

I went the month before I met my husband. I had gone to Glacier National Park in Montana, where Canada has a sister park, Waterton Lakes National Park. On the Canadian side, I was able to rent a scooter and ride around.

Movie:
Unfortunately, my favorite Canadian Movie is not one I necessarily want all everyone reading about and associating with me. I will tell you, that you can find the movie on Netflix.

So I will tell you about an American Movie I view as a classic, "Canadian Bacon". If you think you hate Micheal Moore, you still may like this movie that he directed back in 1995. This movie stars John Candy, Rhea Perlman, and one of my favorite actors, Alan Alda.

In the movie, the U.S. is going through hard times. To boost the economy the president of the U.S. is convinced that they must go to war, but the Russians are out of the question and there are few countries suited as suitable appointments. They finally decide that they must convince the American people that Canada is out to get them. This launches a rise in American Patriotism. A small misguided team of working class decide to take it upon themselves to sneak into Canada and launch the first offense. The result is funny and highly entertaining.

Food:

I started my day by going to Tim Horton's for coffee, a doughnut and a sandwich to go. For those of you who have never eaten at a Tim Horton's it is a doughnut, coffee and sandwich café that is slightly nicer then Subway, but just shy of being as nice as a Panera. The food is good, and reasonably priced. The chain itself, started in Canada. For lunch I had the sandwich along with Canada Dry Ginger Ale (originating in Canada but now owned by Texas based Dr. Pepper).

For dinner I had mac and cheese (known as Kraft dinner in Canada), A Labatt beer (a beer brewed in Canada).

Work Cited:
Moore, Micheal. "Canadian Bacon". Released: 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment