Saturday, December 28, 2013

Japan/China

Japan/China:

               A little while ago I wrote about Pearl Harbor. I thought I would follow up with this by talking about Japan. Japan was involved with the war before they bombed Pearl Harbor. The signing of the Tripartite Pact with Germany made it one of the Axis powers. The Japanese were not just fighting us, they were invading China.

Movies:

               Many of the movies I found where from the Chinese perspective of the war. My favorite movie about the Japanese invasion of China has to be “Empire of the Sun” staring Christian Bale. This movie was made in 1987. It is so well done, that you can almost forget that the movie was made so long ago. Bale plays an aristocratic British boy living in China. After the Japanese occupation of China, the young boy, James, finds himself alone in his now abandon home. He is forced to leave when he runs out of food, and finds himself in even more difficult situations. He eventually ends up at a POW camp where he befriends many different people and creates a good trading network.

               This was not the last movie Bale was in on the subject of the Second Sino-Japanese War. Later, Christian Bale did a second movie on a similar subject, but as an adult. The movie is called “The Flowers of War”. Here Bale plays a selfish, undertaker who finds himself at a convent filled with young female students. It is one of the only places in Nanking, China where there seems to be refuge from the Japanese invasion outside. A group of prostitutes work their way into the convent despite the protest of the young lad in charge of keeping the girls safe. The prostitutes and the female students fail to get along. The war outside the walls of the church which was already bad is threatening to break through the convents walls. In the end the undertaker’s heart softens and he helps sneak the girls to a safer location, meanwhile the prostitutes sacrifice their lives to helping the girls ensure the girls successful escape. This movie shows us the harsh realities of war, but also shows that people can be at their best when times are most brutal.

People:

               When I was in middle school, my father worked with two people. One was from Japan and the other was from China. The two didn’t like each other, and most of the time, they wouldn’t even talk to each other, preferring instead to send messages back and forth to each other through my dad. This is how I first came to find out that the Japanese and Chinese didn’t like each other.

               In college, I was in the Asian American Association. There was no one from Japan in the club. Perhaps there were no Japanese students at my school, but I wasn’t sure of that. There were people from other countries, China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. I noticed very quickly that none of them ever spoke highly of the Japanese.

               I also had a Japanese foreign exchange student living with me when I first went to college. She was attending the high school that I had gone to. The guy that I was dating at the time was from Guatemala. He being from the country directly south of Mexico, was not found of those from Mexico. Anyway, he asked the foreign exchange student if she would ever marry a man from China. Which she promptly replied “no” to. He kept questioning her on this. “Why not?”

               “I don’t like the Chinese.” “We don’t like the Chinese”. “It would never work.” “Our families would never work.”

               Finally, I turned around and asked him: “Would you ever marry a Mexican?”

               His Answer: “No.”

               “Why not?”

               “I don’t like Mexicans.”

               “Well that’s the same with her.”

               It is easy as an American to fault others for not getting along with other people, but we have very little history of long term war that other nations. The people we have fought within our recent past we have made up with to a large extent. Like Japan and China, Guatemala had to fight Mexico to maintain their independence from them, but China and Japan have had hundreds if not thousands of years of mistrust between each other.

Food     
               I’m really fond of Japanese food, so when one of the dishes that came out of my “Hello Fresh” box of food turned out to be udon noodles with vegetables and tofu I was really excited. The dish was a lot easier to make then the last dish I made from them, but I still managed to mess it up a little. I made the noodles too sticky and I couldn’t get the tofu to sauté quite right. Still, the dish was tasty despite the fact that I couldn’t get it to look quite like what was presented in the picture of the dish.

References:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment