Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Brazil


Brazil:

Saturday marked the first day of Carnival in Brazil, but not to worry. It runs from the Saturday before Lent to the Tuesday before Lent. Unlike most of South America, the people of Brazil speak Portuguese instead of Spanish. I do not know a lot about Brazil. According to my husband, Brazil was his father’s favorite place.

Personal Experience:

When I was working at Cat Decatur, I was interviewed by a man named Tadashi Yomomoto. It came in an e-mail that this was who I would be meeting with. When I came into the interview there were three people sitting in front of me. One of them was a very Japanese looking man. He stood up to shake my hand and introduced himself. Immediately I was thrown. He didn’t have a Japanese accent or an American accent (I had expected either one of these accents). I sat through the entire interview trying to place it, and trying to make sure I understood him. At the end of the interview without me asking he said: “You know many people think I am Japanese, but I am not Japanese. I’m Brazilian.

Many people do not realize it, but there is a large portion of Brazilians are of Japanese descendent.
T.V.

I watched one of my favorite T.V. shows, “An Idiot Abroad”. This time I watched Season 1 Episode 6. Where Carl goes to Brazil, experiences carnival, the beaches, and the giant Jesus statue.
Current Events:
Brazil is hosting soccer's world cup this year, and there are so many delays it is ridicules. Infrastructure is not set up for the Brazil's current population without the increases in traffic when the world cup is taking place. (http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=265035233&m=265035234)

Food:

For dinner  I will be making shrimp bobo. A soup made from Shrimp, coconut milk, crushed peanuts. I will be adding tomatoes chilies and cilantro to mine.

Work Cited:
 Garvais, Ricky. “An Idiot Abroad” Season 1. Episode 6. “Brazil. 2010. Website: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=265035233&m=265035234

Wikipedia: Brazil,. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil, Brazilian Cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_cuisine . Retrieved: March 2, 2014
"World cup woes for one Brazilian city" All things considered. NPR. Puplished:  4 March 2014. Retireved: March 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment