Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pearl Harbor


Pearl Harbor

For those of you who did not know this, yesterday was Pearl Harbor day. I know that I am a day late for this but to celebrate this we are going to watching some Movies about Hawaii and Pearl Harbor, and by drinking pineapple flavored Coconut water.

When I was 12, I was able to go Honolulu and visit Pearl Harbor. We got on a boat watched videos of firsthand accounts of the battle. What I remember most about the tour was not the old ships and planes or the testimony of the soldiers. What I remember the most is that everything was translated into Japanese. There was probably two reasons for this:

1)      Hawaii is about halfway between Japan and the U.S. and as such it is a major vacation destination to the Japanese.

2)      The attack on Pearl Harbor is part of our history that we share with Japan.

Indeed there were a good amount of Japanese tourist there, which seemed odd to me that the time. I mean I don’t think I would go to Hiroshima, and watch documentaries about them. I think I would feel fairly embarrassed to even be there.

Book:

               One of my favorite books about World War II was one that I read in high school, Farewell to Manzanar It is about the experiences of a young Japanese American girl after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Once the U.S. entered the war, Japanese American’s like Jeanne Wakatsuki (the author and protagonist of the story) was forced into Japanese internment camps ran by the U.S. government. The first chapter “What is Pearl Harbor” accounts how Japanese Americans reacted to the bombing, and how the U.S. government first reacted to Japanese Americans. One of my favorite quotes comes from this book: it is in chapter 7, when a soldier is interrogating Jeanne’s father. The interrogator asks him, who he wants to win the war, U.S. or Japan. The man’s response is, “When your mother and your father are having a fight, do you want them to kill each other? Or do you just want them to stop fighting?”(Houston, 64).

Movie:

“Pearl Harbor”, the movie starring Ben Affleck, Kate Beckinsale, and Josh Hartnett; is an extremely long movie that reminded me a lot of a bad Bollywood movie. Most Hindi movies are about three hours long, have drawn out and dramatic romance, have acting that is just shy of good, and choreographed dancing. The only one of these four things this movie didn’t have was the dancing.

If you would like to learn about Pearl Harbor, I would recommend a movie I found on Netflix, “Pearl Harbor: Legacy of Attack”. This “National Geographic” documentary features the voice of Tom Brokaw. It takes you back into the mindset the American People had at that time, at the same time giving us an accurate historical account of the events.

Food:

I do not remember too much of what I ate the first time I went to Hawaii. I do remember eating Poi- Mushy gray goo made from Taro root and eaten with two fingers. I also remember this is where I first ate Sushi. Now at the time I was afraid of raw fish, so while at the beach, my mom bought us a dried plum sushi. The plum was salty and sweat, and was wrapped in sea weed and sticky rice. Unlike sushi that I have eaten since then, it was shaped in a triangle and not a rectangle or roll. My mom had just bought it from a cart that was right off the beach. I have never eaten sushi from a cart since.

               My second trip to Hawaii was on the big Island. Being that it was more recent, I have a lot more memories of it. Everyplace we ate breakfast featured spam. Span Scrambled eggs, Spam as a side to pancakes. Now I do not eat pork, but I had to make an exception here in order to get a true taste of the culture. When I was on my way to Volcano National Park, we stopped at a gas station. There, in the heat lamps was something I have never seen before- Spam Sushi! This had to be what the locals ate; I mean who but the locals eats food from underneath gas station heat lamps? I had to try it. It was awful, but I am really glad I ate it.

Work Sited:

Bay, Michael. “Pearl Harbor”. 2001

Houston, Jeanne Wakatsuki; Houston, James D. Farewell to Manzanar.1973.

Prentice, Patrick. “Pearl Harbor: Legacy of Attack”. 2001

 

No comments:

Post a Comment