Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Korea

Introduction:
Today is Budha’s birthday, or at least it is in Korea. In addition to Buddhism,  Korea’s traditions are also influenced by Confucius, Taoism, and Shamanism. However, in North Korea all religion is suppressed.  

I have always been fascinated with Buddhism, though I have never been inside a Buddhist temple. My husband often likes to tell people that I think like a Buddhist and follow Buddhist philosophy. I have never been sure if that is always true.

Buddha himself lived in India around 500 years prior to Jesus. He believed that the your ultimate goal was to reach Nirvana. To do this one had to end ones suffering by gaining enlightenment and through the elimination of desire. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#Buddhist_ethics). Nirvana being the end of the cycle of death and rebirth. Like Hinduism they believe in Karma and rebirth based on your Karma, but once you become enlightened the cycle ends and you join the universe.

Book:
Years ago, I listened to a book called Teachings of the Buddha by Jack Kornfield. When I moved in with my husband I noticed that my husband had a book about Buddhism. I never bothered to look at it closely. All I knew is that it had a blue cover. When I tried looking up the picture of the book I had listened to all those years ago I noticed something: his book and my book had the same name. I looked at it closer: it has the same author. Basically, I had listened to an older addition of the book then my husband had and not even realized it.

According to this book, the base philosophy is the cause of suffering is desire, so if you do not want, you will not suffer.

The second philosophy is finding a middle path. This means that if there are two options that are both good or are both bad there is an option in between that is optimal.

Discussion:
The first philosophy concerns me to some extent. I agree, if you do not want anything you will never be disappointed. However, this takes out a lack of drive. If you do not want anything you are not driven to move ahead and make life better. If you do not make life better, more suffering can occur. This is in stark contrast to the Buddhist philosophy.

The second belief I agree with completely. If there are two options there is a combination of the options that will work even better, leading to compromise. Life is usually not either or, black and white, life presents infinite options to solving problems, whether they be personal, ethical, political, or work related.

T.V. show:
I watched the last episode of M*A*S*H “Goodbye, Farewell & Amen”.

Food:
To celebrate Buddha’s birthday I had made Korean Style dumplings that had been stuffed with minced chicken and cabbage which I pan fried. I ate this with the same style barbequed chicken I ate when I wrote about North Korea.

Current Events:

I am deeply saddened by the sinking of the Korean Ferry and the many high school students and other individuals who lost there lives as a result. For more information on the tragedy go here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/25/306833822/recovery-of-bodies-from-sunken-ferry-growing-more-difficult
 
One of the saddest pieces I saw about this tragedy can be found in this link: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/01/308608463/heartbreaking-video-of-final-moments-aboard-korean-ferry It shows a video shot by the phone of a student in his final moments.
 
I am
Work Cited:

Alda, Alan. M*A*S*H “Goodbye, Farewell & Amen”. 28 Feb 1983

 “Buddhism”. Wikipedia. Retrieved: May 6, 2014. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#Buddhist_ethics).

“Korea”. Wikipedia. Retrieved: May 6, 2014. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea#Religion)
Kornfield, Jack. Teachings of the Buddha (Shambhala Pocket Classics). 1993.

Memmot, Mark. "Recovery Of Bodies From Sunken Ferry Growing More Difficult" Published: April 25, 2014. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/25/306833822/recovery-of-bodies-from-sunken-ferry-growing-more-difficult. Retrieved: May 6, 2014.
 
Neuman, Scott. 'Heartbreaking' Video Of Final Moments Aboard Korean Ferry. Published: May 1, 2014. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/01/308608463/heartbreaking-video-of-final-moments-aboard-korean-ferry Retrieved: May 6, 2014.
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment